It’s super easy to create a unique pillow with a silhouette of your pet or favorite pup! Use it to decorate your room or give it as a gift! Your pet will love it, too!
*These patterns are property of Sugar Lulu LLC. We grant you permission to use them for your pet pillows. If you would like to use these patterns on other things, please e-mail Marketing@SugarLulu.com for permission. © 2014 Sugar Lulu LLC.
Click a pattern below to print it:
What You Need to Make Puppy Silhouette Pillow
1 Pillow insert
2 Black felt
4 Heat n Bond for the appliqués
5 Fabric glue
6 Dog silhouette image
8 Scotch Tape
Directions for Puppy Silhouette Pillow:
- First you will need to figure out how much fabric you will need. Here is how you do it: For the front piece of your pillow, add 2 inches to the width and 2 inches to the height of the pillow insert. For the back 2 pieces of your pillow, subtract 6 inches from the width.
- Here is an example for a pillow insert measuring 14”x14”:
Start with the front of the pillow by adding 2 inches to each side so you will need a 16”x16” piece of fabric for the front of your pillow. Then, for the back of the pillow, subtract 6 inches from the width so you will need a 16”x10” piece of fabric for the back of your pillow. You will need 2 of these pieces of fabric for the back of your pillow.
- Here are some measurements for some standard pillow sizes:
14” x 14” pillow: one 16” x 16” square, two 16” x 10” squares
16” x 16” pillow: one 18” x 18” square, two 18 ”x 12” square
18” x 18” pillow: one 20” x 20” square, two 20 ”x 14” squares
- Choose a dog silhouette image from the selections above or find one on your computer. Resize the image to fit the front of your pillow. Print the silhouette.
- Adhere Heat and Bond to the black felt. Follow the instructions for Heat n Bond to do this.
- Put a piece of fabric over the felt before ironing it (make sure to check with your parents before ironing!)
- Tape the dog silhouette to the black felt. Cut out the silhouette.
- Stick the dog silhouette to the front piece of fabric. Follow the instructions on the Heat n Bond for this also.
- Measure and cut the ribbon to size for the dog collar. Use either fabric glue or Heat n Bond to attach the collar to the dog’s neck.
- Place the front fabric face up on a surface.
- Place one of the smaller, back pieces of fabric on top of the piece of front fabric, face down, matching the top corners. Glue the pieces together on the bottom, left and right side using fabric glue. DO NOT glue the bottom of the small fabric down.
- Place the second smaller, back piece of fabric on the bottom of the larger piece, overlapping in the middle. Glue the left, right and bottom sides together. Where the 2 smaller fabrics overlap in the middle should not be glued down. This will be the opening for putting the pillow insert in.
- Let everything dry according to the glue’s instructions.
- When completely dry, turn the pillow cover inside out.
- Put your pillow insert inside the cover. Voila!